This intensive two-day program provides contemporary managers a practical plan utilizing traditional quality tools and the management theories of respected 20th century guys, Dr. W.E. Deming and Mr. Peter Drucker. This workshop will benefit managers in organizations desiring to advance their managerial skills to the skill of word-class leaders. Program participants will gain a practical understanding of how to assess strategic goals and objectives and develop subordinates into high performing teams. A structured approach to team building will be demonstrated through in-class workshops by utilizing the organization’s core competencies, engaging employees, and applying traditional tools of quality to align goals and objectives of all company employees with the strategic goals established by company leadership. Reflections of the theories of quality guru W. Edwards Deming and the father of modern management, Peter Drucker, will be reviewed and applied in the perspective of the modern business environment.
This program utilizes the applications of quality theory and methodology in a holistic approach to supporting business excellence while utilizing all employees. The use of quality tools and methodologies to support fact based strategic decision making, as well as tactical actions planning will be demonstrated through in-class workshops and case studies. Participants gain an advanced understanding of how a contemporary quality management system supports strategy and cross-functional operations by leading in the development of the organization’s existing internal intellectual capital, its employees.
- Business professionals tasked with business operations decision making
- Individuals who are responsible supervising others within an organization
- Performance management specialist (human resource planning)
- Quality managers transforming to organizational excellence
The level of this course is considered advanced training.
Upon completion of this two-day learning experience, attendees will be able to:
- Comprehend how to transform an organization to twenty-first century performance excellence through the advancement of managers into leaders reviewing Deming and Drucker’s views of employees and leaders
- Developing individual employees into high performing teams
- Hypothesize the internal and external factors directly impacting an organization’s performance using fact based analysis, understanding how quality tools support strategic development, and applying both qualitative and quantitative fact-based decision making
- Develop business case impacted leadership programs which promote the retention of an organization’s intellectual capital
What is Strategic Quality Management?
- Traditional strategic planning models and quality based strategic planning models: Hoshin and Scenario Based Models
Assessing strengths and weaknesses of traditional models
- Why strategic quality management?
- Immediate consequences of not applying this approach
- Future benefits from strategic quality planning
- An organizational strategic approach to systems and processes
- In class exerise: Tradional SWOT extended to Hoshin Kanri to demonstrate how quality based quantitative tools can impact strategic planning
Breaking down functional silos in applying strategic quality
- Applying the tools of quality to support fact-based, strategic decision making
Personal leadership evaluation and company readiness assessment
- Leader or manager
- Traits of leadership
- In-class exercise gap analysis tool, manager, company and employee evaluation
Developing a culture of strategic organizational excellence through leadership for the New Millennium
Management and leadership, understanding the difference
- Cultivating leadership development
- Emotional intelligence
- Human factors engineering
- Retaining employee intellectual capital
- Aligning human resources, operations, and marketing using quality principles and tools to assure continuous development of intellectual capital
Strategic Organizational leadership
- Challenges and opportunities
- Being proactive and visible as a leader
- In class exercise: Tradional SWOT extended to Hoshin Kanri to demonstrate how quality based quantitative tools can impact strategic planning
- Case study: Avonmore Specialty Castings
- In-class workshops – FMEA related to startegic quality leadership (using brainstorming and affinity diagrams as a basis)