Project Management (PM) is a necessary skill for individuals in all domains. The PM skills are critical in deploying strategic initiatives, managing capital projects, managing change, and executing continuous improvement initiatives. Unfortunately, only 25-30% of projects succeed globally. In this course we will discuss Project Management Concepts, Key Project Metrics, Project Failures and its Impact, Project Budget, Project Communication, Project Risks, and ways to Improve Project Success. After this course, the attendees will 1). be able to understand importance of Project Management, 2). know key Project Management principles and practices, and 3). be able to manage projects with better outcomes for any organization.
Course participants will gain and apply skills in developing and leading projects that create value in any area, but with specific focus on improving quality and service, They will be able to apply critical thinking to their projects and determine which tools to use from a broad array of proven methodologies. They will review current applied research in effective project management. A review of Total Quality Management (TQM), Baldrige Performance Excellence Criteria, and ISO Quality Management Systems will be shared to assure that projects can deliver results that create the highest value by supporting the overall objectives of an organization.
Course participants will learn these topics through lectures and select article discussions. Also case studies will be shared to stimulate participants’ interest in project management.
Dr. Manu K. Vora
Ph.D, M.B.A, ASQ Fellow
Fullbright Specialist, U.S.Department of State
Adjunct Faculty, School of Professional Studies, Northwestern University
Visiting Faculty, IIT (BHU), Varanasi, GIAN Program-MHRD, India
Dr. Vora is Chairman and President of Business Excellence, Inc., a global quality management consulting firm. He has over 45 years of leadership experience guiding Fortune 500 companies with Baldride Performance Excellence Award framework. He is an ASQ fellow and Past Vice President from the ASQ Board of Directors. He holds an MBA with Marketing Management from Keller Graduate School of Management in Chicago, M.S. & Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering from Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT) in Chicago, and B.Tech. (Honors) in Chemical Engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology (BHU), Varanasi in India. For over 32 years as a Consultant and over 27 years as an Adjunct Professor, he teaches Operations Management courses at business schools globally. He is affiliated with over 80 educational institutions around the world. In 2016, he taught “Project Management for Organizational Excellence“, a GIAN course approved by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India at IIT (BHU).
Dr. Vora not only has many prestigious awards, too numerous to detail here, he has life-long experience and 35 awards/honors in combining his business philosophy with social responsibility and community service. In 1989, he established the Blind Foundation for India (BFI) to serve over 15 million visually impaired people in India. He has shared his Leadership Excellence Series (LES) focusing on life-long transferable knowledge of soft skills and quality management free-of-cost to over 675,000 people globally.
People assigned to projects, management personnel, engineers from manufacturing, service, healthcare, and government organizations would benefit from this practical course providing experiential learning in project management.
The main purpose of this course will be to provide a comprehensive understanding of and experiential learning in the role of project management in any organization, including:
- Developing projects that are aligned with the strategy and objectives of the organization.
- Resourcing and planning projects: Developing project teams that have the right make-up to deliver great results and determining and gaining financial resources.
- Understanding importance of Leadership in managing project effectively.
- Identifying, enrolling, and communicating with project stakeholders.
- Defining meaningful project metrics and applying them during and after the project to assure that project objectives are met.
- Understanding human factors in project management: assuring that work gets done in an environment that brings out the best ideas.
- Applying clear risk management and decision processes that support project development and execution.
- Create strategic advantage for an organization with effective use of resources to execute organization’s key strategies.
- Ability to effectively manage projects in any organization across domains.
Mix of lectures, article discussions, and participants sharing their successes/failures with project management.
- State-of-the-art Project Management articles
- Useful Practical Templates
- Suggested Textbook and Pocket Guide